HOW TO GUIDE: Aftermarket Remote Central Locking

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
JayW
1K Away

HOW TO GUIDE: Aftermarket Remote Central Locking

Post by JayW »

An idiots guide!

Having done it many times now I thought i'd document the process.

Many cars no longer have working Plips or never had one installed in the first place, so you may wish to install your own with the added benefit of not having to point your fob through the window!

The installation costs less than a tenner and takes half an hour for the more adept hands or an hour for the novice.

To carry out the job you will require:
10mm socket wrench
Wire snips
Electrical tape
Soldering iron (optional)
One of these (or similar) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280935117931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The process:
Your central locking controller is located under here:

After sliding the left front seat right forward just pop the oddment pocket out of the back of the console (pictured) & remove the 10mm nut & washer, then at the front of it remove the round plastic cap & remove the 10mm bolt. With the handbrake in the UP position just lift the console up from the back and fold forward until it removes completely. (some higher spec models have a 12v accessory socket in the back of the console, this will need to be unplugged).

This will reveal this:

Unplug the module so you can't damage it (it has a constant live connection)

The plug is numbered thus:

Now you will need to look at your Chinenglish instruction manual that came with your kit. You are normally presented with 3 options. Negative Trigger, Positive Trigger, Positive AND Negative Trigger. For the BX you will require the NEGATIVE TRIGGER diagram.

Something like this:

The installation requires only 4 wires: Live, Negative, Lock Trigger and Unlock Trigger. (on some kits you may have to bridge a pair of wires for the triggers making 6 wires but they still only connect to 4 on the car). Trim the loom that came with your kit leaving 6-8 inches of wires as there's little space for excess. Most of these kits can also trigger your lights to flash too but I've found that pointless and the original Plip didn't!

Once you have identified the wires required connect them to the wires on the above plug in the following order (I splice & solder but you can use whatever method you prefer but not scotchblocks, they're crap):

Lock Trigger to either wire at number 7
Unlock Trigger to either wire at number 5
Negative at number 2
Positive (live) at number 1 - Ensure this one is very well insulated.
Gather & tape up the remaining spare wires.

It should then look something like this:

Refit the original control module & test. You should now have Remote Central Locking! Well Done!

Refit the centre console with the original module back in the correct place, the new module will fit snuggly down the opposite side of the handbrake. Ensure you route the cable neatly and well away from the handbrake levers mechanism, then refit the oddment tray.

Tidy up, put a plaster on that cut, make tea & feel smug.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Re: HOW TO GUIDE: Aftermarket Remote Central Locking

Post by Mickey taker »

excellant me old mucker ( sorry, when is it your coming to visit :D )
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

PM'd
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Nice one Jay =D>
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Excellent, I will be giving this a try. Spot on thanks Jay.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Top advice. I haven't got any need for remote locking (and neither car ever had it from new as far as I know) but I did wire up my Kawasaki project bike with keyless ignition using one of these (apologies for the long link):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-Remote ... 3346wt_815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure it would do just the same job as the unit you've used, the advantage being it appears to be a lot smaller - about the size of a matchbox, from memory.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Would it be possible to purchase a used citroen plip, take all the bits out and transfer the internal bits from the kit plip to it and it still work? Reason is that most of the kit plips are hideously plasticcy or just hideous.

Great write up Jay, i'll be treating the GT to remote locking at some point then \:D/
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Not really i'm afraid, the plip only has one button and it's mounted on the side of the pcb.

My remotes are different to the ones in the picture and actually look similar to the standard Sigma ones.

There are loads of different ones if you shop around.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That's great Jay. What kit did you actually buy as I wouldn't have a clue about such things? I've got a central locking loom lying about from a scrapper.
I've never had the late 20th/early 21st century experience of walking away from my car and casually plipping over my shoulder.. for me it's still the 70s - unlock the driver's door, get in then flick up all the others from inside to let the passengers in. My kids are still too young to realise they're stuck in a time warp.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Though it's labelled as 'An Idiot's Guide' - I completely missed the embedded ebay link for the actual piece of kit. Does that mean that I'm not an idiot?
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Erm, you still need the central locking solenoids etc to actually operate the door locks - the linked kit is only to operate an existing central locking system remotely!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I had those 'solenoids' once - couldn't sit down for a week til I got the creme from the doctor
Todd

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

still waiting for my kit to arrive from China , hope the delivery guy dosen't expect a tip !!!
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Patience my young Jedi... the Farce is strong in Chinapost...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Lol awived troday
1991 BX Meteor 1.6