A BX Fan

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

A BX Fan

Post by Tim Leech »

I had a regular rather portly but very jolly customer of mine in today, he was just passing and popped in for a chin wag and to ask some advice about when to change his current Golf. The convseration turned towards the Mk 7 Golf which is unveiled today, which as you imagine looks like a Golf (sounds just like a Golf :wink: ) but is more rakish, wider with sharper lines etc.

He said "modern cars just look like jelly moulds, to me, my favourate car of all time is one you probably dont know of, called the Citroen BX" :mrgreen: , I let him carry on to say how gorgeous he thought the angular lines were and that he bought a brand new red 16RE (Without a testdrive or to do any research on them) in 1987 after seeing it in the showroom in London where he then lived, he liked it that much! He is a painter and art designer by trade (another one).

I sat him in front of my pc and loaded up BX Club, he was stunned there was such a following and was clearly delighted, and has asked next time one of mine is in for "work" if he can come and relive his youth..... :D
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: A BX Fan

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Like it! I had several people come up to me when I had the Red Baron, saying they had fond BX memories too. Funnily enough nobody's commented on the 806 :lol: :roll:

I need another BX. :( But funds don't allow... so one day the 806 will go to fund another Citroen adventure, be it BX or XM-shaped... (or even Xantia who knows?! lol)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Phil, youve done Xantia and XM, and you keep coming back to a BX so stick with what you know!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Like it! I had several people come up to me when I had the Red Baron, saying they had fond BX memories too. Funnily enough nobody's commented on the 806 :lol: :roll:

I need another BX. :( But funds don't allow... so one day the 806 will go to fund another Citroën adventure, be it BX or XM-shaped... (or even Xantia who knows?! lol)
How do funds not allow Phil? Can't be more expensive than a 1.3 Fiesta for an n/a diesel or 1400 BX surely?

Less rusty too!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Fiesta Ami's (daughter number 1's) car, which for a Ford was a good buy!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yes, as Tim says although the Fiesta (which is a corker, was a bargain and is cheap to run - except for the 'teen' insurance premium!) is 'in the family' it's not really anyone else's but Amy's.

Sorry, the only car I have is the 806 - and that will have to soldier on for the time being but will eventually go to be replaced by something which will be the main family car. When things improve (work is so bad I'm earning less than in 1988 if this year continues as it is), and they should, but it's involving something of a career change - maybe we'll get another runabout for Liz or me depending on the prevailing BX situation! :) Ideal solution Liz in a BX, ZX, Xantia or XM and me with another BX. Sorted. Well, one day.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

On my email this morning from Mike was a picture of said car (a 16RE) and his very attractive (she still is) wife on the day he got it, complete with dealer fit red and white stripe kit. Sadly the car was last taxed in 1999!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Oh! It was the car that had the red and white stripe kit - I thought it was his wife. It did seem a shame to gild the lily! :D (nice car btw)
Last edited by Paul296 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I really like this story - I mean what are the chances if you walk into a new car showroom and start waxing lyrical about BXs to the VW salesman there, that he is also a fan and owns 4 of them? :D

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I did think it was a windup originally, but the picture if proof, and as you can see the car is brand new and Annabel (Mrs Potter) is very proud of their new car!.

Our 19RD looked very similar (asides the stripe and dealer fit sunroof!)
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Good post..

it's really rewarding when you get positive feedback about the BX

My GT was dubbed the coolest car by my year at Tech. She arrives and sits in car parks with a unique presence.
Even when I swapped it up and drove the TRi, the other students were asking where I got it etc etc ..and even more intrigued when I inferred how inexpensive it was...I stopped short of recommending they get one...I think after the first LHM leak repaired for an exorbitant amount the gloss may wear off!!
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I have a few mates of mine that are in their early 20s and are "car guys", who think the BX's are ace, but dont remember them as they were out of production by the time they were around.