Speedo Cable Fix

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Speedo Cable Fix

Post by Tim Leech »

Am I right in thinking that all XU powered BX's had the same bottom cable? I bought mine from LCS louth.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
BXnut

Post by BXnut »

As you said 'if anyone needs one' :) I do. Mine is now flickering somewhere between 25mph and 35mph I just go for the middle when approaching cameras :)
Rommel

Post by Rommel »

Ours died on the trip home from the sale- so if there is to be any sort of group buy situation we'd be interested!
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

It looks like we are soon 10 people who want one.
We just need to decide who wants to give the instructions to the company.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Rommel

Post by Rommel »

Well, there seems to have been a stall on this idea so I thought i'd put forward another suggestion.

This company were recommended on the XM.co.uk forum:
http://www.speedycables.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the relevant info from the original post:

Replacment Cables - SPEEDY CABLES

Postby jamieb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:55 am
I can recommend Speedy Cables London Ltd. They were in Islington before moving to Wales, hence the name.

I sent all the bits of my S1 speedo cable to them and they made a new one and sent it back almost by return of post. Also answered all emails etc etc. Can't remember how much the new cable was but I think it was no more than £25.00.

The good bits are the communication and swiftness with which the order was completed, in contrast to the other company mentioned.
So is anyone else interested? And does anyone have a cable or cables out of the car to send to be copied?
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Am I right in thinking that all XU powered BX's had the same bottom cable? I bought mine from LCS louth.
I've just looked and I've got three. All different lengths...
Longest has just come out of the TZD estate. Can't measure it accurately as the outer is stretched (got caught up as I removed the gearbox...) but I suspect the company could use it as a pattern.
Middle one came from another 1990/1991 TZD.
Shortest one is new - came from Tim and I think is the one mentioned above. We both thought it was for a TD but not sure if it's going to fit...
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
BXGTIlover

Post by BXGTIlover »

Hello, I'd like one too! Speedo jumping about at 30 odd mph...don't know which cable our GTi has though, can anyone advise? Thanks!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Jumping speedo's are a common BX trait. Just a case of living with it till it goes pop. All to do with the cable being two lengths on a RHD variant. I suppose if speedy cables made a replacement in one length it would solve the problem. Question-why didn't Citroen make the cable one length in the first place?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

mds141 wrote:Jumping speedo's are a common BX trait. Just a case of living with it till it goes pop. All to do with the cable being two lengths on a RHD variant. I suppose if speedy cables made a replacement in one length it would solve the problem. Question-why didn't Citroën make the cable one length in the first place?

Well, thats obvious, built in early obselecence [if ive spelt it right]. Same with the manual side window adjusters, especially on MK 1s. They are designed to break so you have to buy a replacement, keep the parts suppliers in business. Bloody glad ive plenty of spares of both.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Not sure if there's a difference between Mk1 & Mk2 cables, but I'd be interested in a spare.

Speedy Cables are well known in the classic car world and have a good reputation for quality and service.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Mk1 and Mk2 cables differ, the top cable on Mk1 is half the length as it comes in behind the speedo binnacle not the glovebox and runs behind the dash.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Rommel

Post by Rommel »

Well there certainly seems to be a fair degree of interest. Thanks Tim for that info.

I am a BX noob so I need a bit of help from those that know better regarding cables for mk1 and mk2 and variants therof.

If we started a list and knew what everyone needed, then perhaps a group buy could be arranged. I don't know if you guys do this kind of thing on here....the only impediment could be if there are too many variations in cable type to make a straight group buy feasible.

I'll put my name down first. If anyone is interested copy and paste your name and we can see what transpires....apologies if this isn't done on here- just thought some action might get things going!

1- Rohan- 88 GTi 8v
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

An Ex Citroen mechanic recently posted on here that a common fix for speedo jump was to disconnect the joint in the speedo cable and infill the gap betewwen the two cables with a very small piece of welding wire or similar to slightly lengthen the cable again to eliminate the wear. Haven't tried it myself and I know it won't work for all but may well be worth trying first seem as it is such a simple fix?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Defender110 wrote:An Ex Citroën mechanic recently posted on here that a common fix for speedo jump was to disconnect the joint in the speedo cable and infill the gap between the two cables with a very small piece of welding wire or similar to slightly lengthen the cable again to eliminate the wear. Haven't tried it myself and I know it won't work for all but may well be worth trying first seem as it is such a simple fix?
Here you go fellow, THIS is the thread with that info from 'BX-pert' :wink:

Eric Brough
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 16TXi
C5 Mk1 Facelift 2.0 HDi estate
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge

Post by Eric Brough »

I now need a new cable as well! Can I join the queue? I was fed up with failed instrument panel lighting. So pulled out the panel and changed all the bulbs but in doing so broke the end of the speedo cable. I now have a well-illuminated dead speedo. Are there any BX's left with working speedos!? E
<------------------>
BX 16TXi
C5 Mk1 Facelift 2.0 HDi estate
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge
<==========>