BX Tech talk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: No ignition / battery light

Post by Defender110 »

Thanks everyone for your input and help. I have ordered a new alternator from my suppliers and will look at repairing the old one.

Out of interest; I knew there was different ampage alternators fitted but didn't know that they had different pulleys and belts. The 50amp has a 4 ribbed belt and the 70amp a 5 ribbed belt.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I have come across different pulleys, but didn't know what the differences were.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

The 80 amp has a pulley for the 5 ribbed belt too. There are different pulley diameters as well but they are all going to work. Alternators for diesels tend to have smaller pulleys to make up for the lower revving engines. If you've a 5 rib pulley on the alternator and and only a 4 rib pulley at the other end you'll only be able to fit a 4 rib belt of course - and that may, at times, show signs of being less than ideal by giving the occasional sqeal - particularly just after starting when there's a lot of charge to be put back in the battery. If it does that, just leave the engine at tickover for a little while then raise the revs to check the belt is gripping before moving off.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Although showing one in stock when my suppliers supplier went to pick the alternator the bin was empty so they are noe manufacturing one to spec.
I did some more testd on Sunday;

I took off the small ignition light wire fom the back of the alternator and put a meter to the output on the alternator with the ignition on and there was no feed. Just out of interest and to positively test the wiring from the alternator I put a dummy feed wire from the battery to the wire terminal and when the ignition is switched off the battery light does illuminate, it goes off when the ignition is switched on. I also noticed my alternator is a 50amp which with 5 ribbed belt.
My better half goes away to Tenneriffe for a week this Friday and I am off work with the kids so I have decided to pull the car off the road then and give it a bit of a front end birthday whilst she is away. I am putting it on an overnight tickle charge each night until then to keep it in use.

I plan to;
Remove front the front bumper, grill, radiator etc.
1. flush out rad and cooling system.
2. remove and internally clean out intercooler
3. Replace slightly leaking rocker cover gasket.
4. replace alternator (belt done last year with timing belt tensioners and water pump)
5. remove ABS module and inner wing arch before fully inspecting (removing seam sealer if required) then rectify any possible corrosion to neaside front inner wing (offside done last year) including waxoil protection.
6. remove all surface rust to front crossmember and make good including waxoil protection.
7. replace split offside outer CV boot.
8. LHM flush
9. Engine service with all filters and oil change.
9. Remove front doors to properly inspect 'A' pillars and rectify any possible rust issues + waxoil to pillars and door internals.
10. Change this page to a blog Mat? :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Defender110 wrote:an overnight tickle
Sounds good fun! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto