Dollywobbler's TZD estate - departure time

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Dollywobbler's TZD estate - departure time

Post by Dollywobbler »

So, my latest BX is home after a drive involving scary noises, lovely weather, hideous weather (rain AND snow) and some surprise discoveries.

Here are some pics.

As mentioned elsewhere, there are jobs to be done, but overall this is a good car for the money. A wheel bearing is very badly worn, but shouldn't be too much bother to sort out. The gearbox is noisy in fifth, but I'll try fresh oil before anything else. The heater suffers from almost zero throughput of air. This is a serious one but hopefully an easy fix. My guess is that the flap that should open as you rotate the speed dial is not doing so. You usually get a quiet 'thump' when turning the dial to off - this doesn't happen. I'd appreciated any tips for how to resolve this.

She's slow to rise but the tick time is just about healthy enough. Steering is absolutely spot on and aside from the ABS light coming on at one point on the journey home (it went off when I stopped and restarted the engine) the brakes seem fine.

Nice to have a workhorse again!
Last edited by Dollywobbler on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Dollywobbler's TZD estate (formerly Wooscary's)

Post by Tim Leech »

That Mileage is awesome!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

That's a nice one. If you decide to ditch the wheels I'm looking for some and have some ZX steelies (marginally wider tyres than normal BX) currently on The Estate.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Assuming they're 5.5J?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've no idea Kitch! Have had interest in the wheels already, but I will need a set of steelies to replace them. Feeling full of cold today so any further BX thoughts are pretty much on hold!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive seen the car at last years X Rally, it does have the GTi 8v/Hurricane type 5.5j x 14.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Sun came out, so moar pics.
ImageImage

"Repaired" glovebox.

Posh technology.

Engine bay is tidy.

Security fail. Reg number is for a different BX.

EDIT - it seems incredible that the car should be such good condition structurally, but it's easily the most solid BX I've ever owned I reckon. The rear crossmember is perfect, the sills are fine and the inner wheelarches are spot on. Clearly a good anti-corrosion wax or underseal has been used and it's all in great condition. The rear wheelarches show some signs that rot might be trying to find a way in, but it might just be the waxoyl that has clearly been used in that area. The doors shut with a bit of a clang, but I had good success with the TXD by adjusting the strikers.
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Looking good :) wish my dash lit up like that and you have a working bonnet open sensor!
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Dash still has a bulb out! And the temp light section is out of alignment, so light can sneak through. Can I be bothered to try and sort out? Not yet I can't...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Dash bulbs are easy! get some bulbs and bring them to the X Rally...
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Tim Leech wrote:Dash bulbs are easy! get some bulbs and bring them to the X Rally...
Can I bring some as well? One of mine is out on the TGD - I thought it was a really hard job (well, I did until you replaced Sandre's in under 10 minutes the other day!).
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The speedo cable is the only tricky bit, but by the time I'd had the binnacle off several times, I got quite good at it. I shall not be at the X Rally however, more's the pity.

May need to adjust the clutch. It's right at the top of the travel. Got into the TXD earlier and almost stalled it! Gave me a right shock. Hoping that the TZD's clutch still has some life in it. I also hope to revive the central locking plip. I shall see if I can get the unit apart to put a new battery in.

I was feeling a bit grumpy about this car on my noisy, chilly drive home yesterday, but am feeling more positive today.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Heater is now working fine, though I'll have to live with not being able to shut off the airflow while driving until a complete solution can be found. That's ok as I think the heater tap is operating correctly. Had a go at checking the gearbox oil level, but the plug is practically welded in place. I'll get my mechanic to tackle that when he's doing the wheel bearing later in the week.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Timex has a long way to go to match that both in terms of mileage and condition, but it just shows what a bit of TLC can do for the longevity of a motor!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Indeed. Drove it back-to-back with the TXD this morning as I dropped it off at a garage for the wheel bearing to be replaced. £50 well spent! Meant I jumped straight from the TZD to the TXD, which has clocked up almost 200,000 miles less. Very little difference in feel. The TZD feels slightly baggy, and there's an unusual knocking-type clonk from the back end somewhere (do rear ARB links wear?) but it's remarkably tight really.

I do need to adjust the driver's door striker, so it doesn't clang so much. Did this very successfully on the TXD - amazing what a difference it can make.