Over 2k

Re: Valeo "universal" ignition switch - wiring help

Post by Way2go »

Treat yourself to a beer! ~ale~
1991 BX19GTi Auto
garethj

Post by garethj »

Thanks! And I'll treat the car to not being dumped on waste ground with a gallon of unleaded and box of matches :D

Everything went back together easily enough, but I must dig out some more Torx drivers for future use.

Thank you to everyone for the help, I don't know if it's the switch harness that was assembled wrong by Valeo or if the "universal" ignition switch isn't as universal as it makes out.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

bx_pallas wrote:When my ignition switch died a few years ago, I created a little replacement circuit with two simple rockers for switching accessories and ignition and a button for cranking. The 4 positions of the white connector are switched over 4 standard relays and a 5th relay opening the acessory circuit while cranking. Cranking is only possible when ignition is on, and ignition is only possible when acessory is also on, so the circuit behaves exactly like the orig. ignition switch...
(Of course I also removed the steering lock pin for safety reasons, because you can now drive with no key in the lock)
I would be interested in how that set up was done.

After much fluffing with the TRS ignition problem caused by loose connectors I now have sorted the TXD not to be outdone has started to show signs of key in ignition failure. So know not got many spares left a secondary system is needed.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
bx_pallas
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bx_pallas »

kiwi wrote: I would be interested in how that set up was done.

After much fluffing with the TRS ignition problem caused by loose connectors I now have sorted the TXD not to be outdone has started to show signs of key in ignition failure. So know not got many spares left a secondary system is needed.
This is how I did it. Switch 1 is for Accessories (key position 1), switch 2 is for ignition (key position 2), and the button cranks the engine. All 5 relays are original BX-parts (the black one with 5 pins comes from the air condition) :)
Happy tinkering!