A plea

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
DaveH
My Cars: Bit of a mix - Citroen 2cv, FIAT X1/9, SAAB 900, winter Skoda

A plea

Post by DaveH »

Hi all,

I've been looking for a BX, on and off, for – well – years actually. Admittedly there have been long “offs” but the desire has never gone away. I've been with Citroens of various types from time to time as owner and mechanic for quite a few (for which read far too many!) years, but I've never had a BX except as a hire car. My current Citroen is a workaday 2cv, immense fun but no good for distance and spurned by my family as uncool and downright dangerous. I love it!

My BX problem comes largely from living in north-east Scotland, a long way from most of the population. It ain't cheap travelling even our little country in search of cars and I've spent eye watering sums of money on fruitless missions to view someone's splendid machine - that turns out to be nothing like! I've met some hopeless optimists and some downright charlatans, as I'm sure have we all.

The trick seems to be to find an honest man who knows the cars. I thought I'd hit the bullseye recently and was close to realising my dream: the right car, everything agreed, it had all I wanted, even headrests in the rear (essential!) - but the deal fell apart right at the last minute when he sold the car to someone who knocked on the door. Not that I can honestly blame him - mine was always going to be a long shot as this chap is right at the other end of the country, but it was a blow, to be sure!

Anyway here is the plea – maybe by coming to the most knowledgeable group of folk (as far as BXs go, at least) I might be able to turn up the right car. It will need to be capable of regular use, clean and straight with not too many miles. And rear headrests for dozing daughters... The car would have an active life with us but would share its duties with several others. A 16 would be ideal but I'm open to suggestions. Can anyone help, or do I have to settle for a (shudder) modern?

Thanks,

Dave
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: A plea

Post by Defender110 »

I would concentrate on finding a suitable car before adding "essential" prerequisites like rear head rests that can be bought and fitted after. (all have the slots fitted for them).
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Yes indeed. I'm not fixated on headrests or anything else. The smaller petrol and NA diesels are likely to prove underpowered for my needs, and that and condition are the only true requirements.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Hi Dave. Are you on Facebook? The reason I ask, is that the Scottish section of the Citroën Car Club have a very active FB group and I'm sure a request on there might illicit a decent car, or at least a link to finding one. There are a few BX'ers up in Scotland, Bill Wright and Richard Woods to name but two. Happy hunting. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

There's a nice hurricane td on car and classix
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I'd actually suggest JayW's lovely Athena, if looking for a sorted 16, you will be very hard pushed to find a better one. A fair price for a well sorted car. With even a good hardly used one, such as one stored for a few years, you will be looking at several hundred in parts to sort it for day to day use. Nothing particularly hard but will need most of the rubber ie Octopus etc, spheres, maybe arm bearings, drop links, wishbone bushes, front flexy brake pipes, cam belt kit, spheres(5), complete coolant flush and change, maybe as many water hoses as you can. Pretty much the same with any of the models but a regular use one will have a lot of these items changed as they wear. It's still cheap motoring and a 16 (manual) can give from 38-50 mpg if you get it right... :wink: Personally I'm not sold on needing power steering either on the 16, they're not too heavy up front. One thing worth noting is the higher spec ones generally have better wearing fabric on the seats than the base models.
Last edited by Tinkley on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Or the £250 TZD.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Tinkley wrote:I'd actually suggest JayW's lovely Athena

Personally I'm not sold on needing power steering either on the 16
It was the Athena Dave was hoping to have but at the 11th hour it went to a local guy. Unfortunate, but a no-brainer. The 16 does have PAS and weighs the same as the 19 being an XU.

Dave really wants something nice that will last, not something with galactic mileage and weld patches as far as the eye can see.

I wish him luck.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Thanks Jay, you've got it in one. The North of Scotland looking quite lovely this morning.
mysterysanderson
My Cars: BX 16TGS J Reg

Post by mysterysanderson »

Hi Dave,

I am selling my 16 TGS Auto currently. 49k in very nice condition. No back headrest sadly and...it's located in East Sussex! If you are interested still do feel free to PM me here!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 3212181642

Ed