John Dragon Man's Citroen BX Diesel Estate

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: John Dragon Man's Citroen BX Diesel Estate

Post by rutter123 »

John i have engine rubber pipes if you need, inc heater, breathers, turbo etc but no top or bottom rad hoses. I dont know if they will tally up with your Rover lump or not.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Dragon Man
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 2.0L HDi 2005
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley 1991

Post by Dragon Man »

rutter123 wrote:John i have engine rubber pipes if you need, inc heater, breathers, turbo etc but no top or bottom rad hoses. I dont know if they will tally up with your Rover lump or not.
hmm they should do, most of the stuff from the bx's original engine is now on this newer engine. i am just in the process of saving up some cash to buy the pipe kit. should have enough by friday.. tomorrow! set the pipes a side as i know the intake pipes on the BX were also split and the boost hose also had a hole in it.. i think.. the one that went over the cam belt side of the engine. let me know how much for them and ill send the funds when i have them!

anyway, work done today:

managed to get the gator on the steering rack.. wow what a job that was! i was having to stand where the engine was so i could get enough pressure on it to push it over the mount for the hydraulic power steering actuator. damn! i wonder why they did not just make it a bolt.. really interestingly designed that one.

i am concerned as to how much the gator is crushed when you turn to full lock.. this cant be right surely? the gator is on the maximum amount of stretch when the steering is turned the other way. both of the gators i have are like this. one was a cheap one, the other is one i bought (for a damn lot of money) that sad it would fit the BX with power steering.... i cant see this lasting very long...

so remember that rust issue i had? well i managed to get a welder i can leave at work. (though its not been used for many years and all rusted up).
i decided to get the cutting disc on it and take off the first skin to see how it was on the underside.

hmm yeah it was to be expected i guess. its not much of a problem..

cut out the worst..

make a plate the same size (or close enough) as the hole.. (even managed to find some replacement steel the same thickness!)

and after taking ages to set up the new welder (spitting and not welding good) i eventually got it to weld nice and welded a new bit in..

rather than spot welds i am going to plug weld it. (as i do not have a spot welder)

after a bit of a clean up it should be OK... some paint then under seal it should not rot out again.. ever! i just need to do the same with the under side (bit under the washer bottle).

lets see what tomorrow brings!
- JohnDragonMan

Drives: Citroen Dispatch with retrofitted air conditioning 8)
Classic Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley named Talon (long term storage)

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen:
Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

Ok so here is tomorrow, and what do we have...

well i started welding the outer skin on and the gas ran out on the welder to be fair it was a Co2 fire extinguisher we had weighed in at the scrap yard i work at, but it did at least one good bit of welding. this is all i managed to do.. then after i welded it on i realised that i have not drilled any holes in it for the plug welds #-o .

well we have no more at work but i will bring one in next week as i have a few at home, so i can finish off this bit of welding here.

after that i just spend most of the day rebuilding a bit of the engine back up, i also spend a while cleaning up the cam belt cover plastic guards and gave the gearbox a second coat of paint.

i really need to paint them injector pipes too,, sadly i have ran out of paint! :shock:

oh and i finally got enough cash together to order the new pipes from Pleiades Car Services (url linked to there facebook page). the total cost combined with VAT and postage came to £243.96. they do come ready to fit to the car though with flares and all new seals :)

i guess its time to start looking for the VNT turbo... i am going to go for one from off a 5 cylinder diesel 2.5L volvo (or most modernish 2.5L diesel) only reason is because i know it has been done before. as said, i wont be running it at high boost pressures (20 to 22psi max!)
the turbo is called "GT2052v" they are not that expensive and can be restored pretty easy by just getting a replacement cartridge with spindle and wheels attached. can the turbo for about £50 and a replacement cartridge for £70-£100. the veins never seem to ware out on these but they have been known to get clogged up. i will clean it all up anyway in my sonic bath then measure any gaps in the veins with a feeler gauge to see how worn it is, but like i say.. ive never seen the veins needing to be replaced on this particular turbo yet, its always the spindle that gets play in it over time

well see you all next week!
- JohnDragonMan

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen:
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

JDM, let me know exactly which pipes/hoses you need and i will see wot ive got here.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Red for danger? Looking good bud.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

That n/s gator is sod to do ideally requiring removal of the rack...i have done a few of these usually just a case of warming it up in some hot water and a bit of lube on the inside of the gator and it will slip over the fitting, tho cheap gators can split-i know this from experience. I use a cut piece of plastic bottle to help it over the fitting.
Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

rutter123 wrote:That n/s gator is sod to do ideally requiring removal of the rack...i have done a few of these usually just a case of warming it up in some hot water and a bit of lube on the inside of the gator and it will slip over the fitting, tho cheap gators can split-i know this from experience. I use a cut piece of plastic bottle to help it over the fitting.
my worry is how far the rack crushes the gator.. when its fully compressed the gator is pressing its self off of the place where it should seat to. it cant be right but like i say, it was bought for a BX with PAS. if i could have got hold of an original "plastic" type gator i would have used that :/ they dont seem to get pinched when on full lock. i think this is only going to be temporary as with the way it crushes them its not going to last very long at all. if i cant get an original i will have to find somewhere that would custom make them so they compress down to only a few cm.. but stretch quite far :(
- JohnDragonMan

rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Not had a prob with mine been on there for several years and still ok, rubber too.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

O dear, I'm showing my age.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

pipes ordered :mrgreen:

just waiting on them getting here \:D/
- JohnDragonMan

Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

and here they are!

this is what £243.96 worth of brand new piping for the BX looks like :D :mrgreen: 8)

- JohnDragonMan

Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

I have swapped over the 2 front caliper feed pipes, they looked the worst out of all of them, and i have managed to completely rebuild the brakes up on the drivers side front. with new pipes, caliper and disc it does look pretty good. the other side is a little bit more difficult as the caliper never came with the brake pad bracket.. (bit the brake pads sit in). i will swap it over once i (surprise surprise) get the special pentagon head bolt socket to undo the old caliper and install on the new. another PSA great design to stop people fixing there own cars no doubt.

the pipe kit does not include every pipe sadly. i really wanted to change every pipe.. however since i have jetwashed them they look to only have slight surface rusting on them.. i think if i was to paint them with the same paint i used on the engine (but a different colour), i think they would be OK. my peace of mind however will still be a little weary... it will just make me so i will not drive it fast. not that i ever do drive fast.

sadly i am also having clutch issues. the one i got for it is not the right size. its too small! dont think i can return it sadly. i weighed the flywheels of both the engines before i fit them to the engine.. and i decided to use the more heavy one. both are the same diameter, but they have different bolt patterns. i actually wonder if i have a 1.9 engine. there is just no marking to say that it is or is not and i cant find an engine number on it (not where it usually is??) the only markings are on the head and they are just a date stamp. i guess rover played with the engines a little..
i just hope that the rover box has the same spline as the BX box, or i am going to have to mix add match pressure plates to friction plates.
if anyone is in the market for a brand new 1.7 BX clutch kit (with 18 spring), let me know. (as the clutch fits the original engine perfect)

anyway i decided to sort out that snapped off heater matrix tap. now i hear that if you even breath on these things, they start to leak so i decided to make a good one out of the 2 i have. the one that was snapped still had nice soft rubber o rings so i took the whole thing apart to swap the seals over and give it a clean. you do have to drill the heads off 2 rivets located in the bolt holes to actually split the thing apart, interesting design that really could have done with 2 more bolts helping hold the centre in, but i am sure with a little help of some instant gasket and the newer old seals i think i will not have it leak. this looks like one of those things where if you were to over tighten it, it would cause the whole thing to arch and leak from the middle so that may be a cause if you are having issues with it.. another thing you may be able to do is use some kind of clamp to hold it together.. anyway..

heres the pictures:

sadly i forgot to take a picture of it built up, but i have not installed it yet so i will do that next Thursday.

i have also taken the old heater matrix out. not that there was anything wrong with it, but i managed to buy a new one for next to nothing so may as well fit that while i am at it!

another job almost done.. one more step to getting the engine in.. i guess..
- JohnDragonMan

rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Sounds like you have a clutch for a bx t/d which as i recall are 200mm diameter? 1.9n/a are 215mm.
Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

hmm i will check on monday.... thanks
- JohnDragonMan

Dragon Man
BXpert

Post by Dragon Man »

hmm it is interesting. the clutch for my original engine does not fit the new engine's flywheel...

the clutch that came with the new engine does not fit the gearbox input shaft! i can see it this is going to be a bit of a run around.

this is the clutch that came with the new engine, as you can see the clutches centre hole is huge for the gearbox!

can see the difference.

does the gearbox have the same input shaft on both TD(1.8) and NA(1.9) engines?

anyway. stopping is pretty important. so heres how the front brakes look:

drivers side:

pass side:

and what is that green pipe?! well. it would be the new return/leak off pipe! Screw rubber pipe, this stuff looks awesome.. why green? well lime green is the same colour as the liquid it carries. (yeah i know it would make it more hard to find leaks, but this should not leak ;))

i have also moved the "octopus" location (not that i am going to have one anymore). from the silly lowest point where it gets oil, water, road grime, road salt, grit and god knows what else thrown at it causing it to die faster. to a nice sensible "right beside the LHM tank for easy inspection and maintenance" location.
sure, they design them the way they do for a reason but man for the few pence extra they could have designed and put such a vulnerable thing in a better place.

this does kinda look good too heh.. to me anyway..

i am going to put the original plastic sleeve over the pipes just to keep them bundled up. when they are all in situ they will look quite nice.

also note the red engine enamel paint.. yeah i had nothing else. when i removed the heater matrix tap to replace it, i noticed there was rust around the hole the rubber seal sits in. now i dont like rust, so i treated it to prevent it from getting any worse. next week when the paint is dry, it should be good to fit the new matrix and tap.

well i guess i will update next week.
- JohnDragonMan