GT mediated Awesomeness

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: GT mediated Awesomeness

Post by Defender110 »

Tim Leech wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 pm Loving the 800! proper big comfy cruiser

They look like a Japanese version of the SD1 don't you think Tim?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Defender110 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:31 pm
Tim Leech wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 pm Loving the 800! proper big comfy cruiser

They look like a Japanese version of the SD1 don't you think Tim?

I could see that Kevan, the coupe looks the best IMO of the 800's - a very attractive car.

It is big, and cruises well (has a diesel 5th gear) but unfortunately the previous owner replaced the tired original suspension with new lowered, stiffer stuff and to keep appearances/ride height he fitted blanking plates, this gives it a sporty* ride. Not very good at bumps or bad road surfaces but goes round corners like a go-kart! It handles ridiculously well for what it is, and will even ensure that others behind you can't keep up due to its mario kart/whacky racer style habit of leaking oil/PAS fluid in reasonable quantities.

I like it for now, but not sure if it'll stay - has a fair few niggles and is distracting me from my GT!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

That Rover of yours sounds a bit of a beast. I reckon a Rover 75 is a better bet, or even a C5 for just cruising and commuting. Not that I would have either though.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The 800 was originally a saloon only, the hatch certainly has some styling cues from the Sd1 but is more angular.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Not much hapenning on the GT front here, I had a great time at the X Rally and thought the venue was at least as good as Burliegh house, if not better; I shifted the majority of my superfluous BX parts, freeing up some cash for GT stuff. I have a small fund now that I can use to start doing stuff with it. I picked up a pair of rear arm bearings from Matt Mullen for a decent price, so was worth making the 500 mile round trip just for that.

In other car news, although I really like the Rover there are just too many little niggles that are irritating me, and I don't want to go spending my limited time and money resources sorting it when my GT is languishing in a barn. So i've been keeping an eye out for a suitable replacement, it needs to be cheap to buy and run and small, as i'd only really need it for pottering around town and short localish trips.

So this came up, a 1.0 AX 'Elation' special edition. What makes it special I don't know! But it was cheap at £500 with a full MOT and all previous MOT's, if no other service history. It has been owned by a lady for the last 17 years and has done around 150 miles a year since she bought it, and kept in her garage when not used - so is really quite tidy, except for a ding or two and appears to have no rust from a superficial look over.

Obviously this isn't it, but is the same colour/trim etc. Mine has crappy halfords wheel trims but I love the AX GT alloys, so will hunt down a set of those. It came from suburbian Birmingham and cost £3 to add to my insurance policy for a day! It drove very well, and loosened up considerably after the 150 mile drive home, only 4 gears though so probably was doing 5000rpm at 70 lol.

If anyone wants a rust free, LPG converted (last tank 62mpg cost equivalent), manual gearbox (from an 825, so has limited slip diff) with a diesel 5th gear Rover 800 2.0 16v with cosmetic niggles that need sorting let me know. I'm likely to lose money on it I think, i'm looking for £1600 for it but will be willing to take close offers. It's insured until October so I have until then to sell, it's nice to not be in a hurry to sell for once tbh.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
St.Eve
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroën BX14TGE (as "Classic"), furio-red, 116k kms
Peugeot 306Cabriolet, Saint-Tropez, grey. 196k kms

Post by St.Eve »

Good choice on that, the little AX with the more little engine performs very good even in his old days (try to compare to a POLO or a corsa from these times, the difference is huge). I used to have one too, took me a few days to get used to a fourspeed gearbox again :D
Anyway, do you know the SWIFT wheels for BX? I have them - with 3 holes instead of for, so for an AX i guess (wouldn't fit on a GSA, much to wide). If that is any interesting for you... small problem is, they are here in germany. ;)

Plus, i used to drive a AX S1 fordor a while ago for a short time. Unimaginable how few of them are existing now, they are all gone. It was beige inside and outside with that good old carebutor engine. Gone to more strict emission standarts back then, sady. I heavily regret that.

Btw i am not firm with the specialmodels you have there in UK (never heard of Elation), but - there is only Citroën i know who is doing it like this - a special model can also be a car without any extras. Just look at my BX "Charmonix"! It was specially for germany, limited to 1350 (i have, and i am proud of that - Number 900!) Its so special it comes completely lack of extras, simply nothing, plus smallest engine. Ok, they were all white and with white swift-wheels - but thats just it. Seems like, PSA had a overproduction of that wheels and thought about how to rip of some germans, as they love limited things, nevertheless how shitty equiped. Genius! :D

Anyway, have fun with that small low-consuption-expert and don't hesitate to load a fridge in it, it will fit. If not, the bonnet can be removed with 2 bolts and can be stored anywhere else, since its so light, just be sure it won't blow away.

Cheers, Steve
"You could drive any f*ckn car in the world as a mechanic - why a BX?" - a former friend
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Hi Steve, It's not yet on the road, I still have my Rover to sell so will drive that until it's gone, but it does run remarkably well. It'll take time to get used to the offset pedals though, and one of the gear linkages needs attention as it requires some strength to get out of reverse!

I know the swift BX alloys, I rather like them. Are they 14" like the BX ones? Do you have any photos that you could upload - they sound interesting for an AX! If I ever need to shift a fridge, I won't hesitate to use the AX lol.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
St.Eve
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroën BX14TGE (as "Classic"), furio-red, 116k kms
Peugeot 306Cabriolet, Saint-Tropez, grey. 196k kms

Post by St.Eve »

Hey Tom,

i am not sure about the size of the rims, i will take a look tomorrow (and take pictures).

Gear linkages are very common problem, they are just to small in my opinion, so they wear off to fast. But should be available somewhere.
But i can remember that i had trouble sometimes to get in and out reverse, too. But i never worried about (since there where much bigger problems on that one). Might worth to check oil level of the gearbox, too.

Have a nice day!
"You could drive any f*ckn car in the world as a mechanic - why a BX?" - a former friend
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

No BX action here today (although i'll be going to see the GT tomorrow, start her up, take cover off, air and check all is well etc), but ther ehas been AX action! The little thing has hardly been used for the last 17 years and also i'm not sure when any servicing wa slast done, the oil (before driving home) appeared almost new, but due to its lack of use i'm not dure how old it is!

Jobs done today:
-New HT leads
-Air filter
-Fuel filter
-Rocker cover gasket
-Clean and polish before putting new cover on.

Not very* much achieved today but only had a couple of hours. A couple of hours you ask, to do those jobs? The fecking rocker gasket took nearly all that time, although there are only two nuts holding the rocker cover on, again due to lack of use there was a thick 3/4" layer of mayonnaise oily goo plastered on the inside of the rocker cover which was delightful to remove! Actually scraped it off in chunks! Gross.

Then gave it a clean, also polished te bonnet and front upper wings just because. Wish I hadn't as this took a further 40 minutes of buffing, very dirty paintwork this, almost certainly not been polished or cleaned properly for many a year. However, behold the finished product.

It looks remarkably good from this distance, say 6 foot. But does have plenty of dings and scratches. The wheel trims are horrendous, and it's screaming for some GT style alloys me thinks, or even just standard wheel trims. The only rust i've found is the drivers front end of the sill and a touch on the bottom of the wing here, also each side just behind the headlights there's a 50p sized rust patch curiously in exactly the same place each side, behind rear lights is remarkably clean (apparently common AX rust spot). Apart from a small blow to the back box (i think, it has a sporty* exhaust tone for a 1.0i) and slightly high idle, it runs remarkably well - could really do with being used and getting some miles done, but that'll have to wait until the Rover is gone, so I'd better get an advert together! Unfortunately it's at least twice the size of the AX so cleaning takes an awful lot longer...

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The gear linkage issue will probably be the cotter pin in the arm on the back of the box. Pretty common problem on AXs and Saxos. Gives you loads of free play across the gate.

Looks tidy enough!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

lovely! I like the plate
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Alan good year has many correct hubcaps for this if you need any Tom.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Thanks Tim, will see if I can FB him.

In other news, the Rover is now officially for sale, i've postaed an ad in the Non-BX General Chat area of the forum - LINK.

In other other news the GT now has an improved car cover and is on axle stands, ready for me to start work on her. First off will be rear arm bearings and rear wheel bearings, rust investigation in this area, checking/renewing HP pipes here and sound insulating the boot, and under rear seats and footwells. Not much then! Not sure when I can start as other commitments always seem to take priority! The house needs DIY and decorating in places, our bees need constant attention and really I should be doing my @registration portfoli' which'll allow me to apply for a promotion at work... So lots!

But for now, this is the GT in her new spacious (if dusty/dirty) barn. Apart from rodent threats (farm dogs have caught two in here in the last 6 months) and bird poo (which isn't such an issue with a cover) and the slightly unlevel floor - it's ideal!

Testament to the car cover - she is still clean!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

That's one awesome garage! whos is it?
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

It's a 16th century farm building, the GT is in one half and the other half is full of farm stuff. The entrance is about as wide as the BX with less than an inch either side of give! Was a tight squeeze getting it in, but can stay there now for a bit whist I work on it.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT