Bleeding cooling system on 19 Diesel Non turbo

BX Tech talk
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Bleeding cooling system on 19 Diesel Non turbo

Post by Dyane425 »

My BX 19 TGD Meteor Diesel automatic (non turbo) has a plastic bleed screw at end of radiator, and copper bleed screw on thermostat housing. There is no header tank.
When bleeding, should I bleed BOTH bleed screws, and if so in which order?
A daft question: when I've bled the thermostat screw, the jet of coolant is so narrow, it's hard to see if there are any air bubbles. How do I know when the coolant has been bled properly at the thermostat end?

Thanks
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Bleeding cooling system on 19 Diesel Non turbo

Post by Jaba »

What works usually is to remove both bleeding screws, fill up with heater on, keep topped up and run the engine until hot and when water comes out of a bleed screw put it back on and finally fit the rad cap and if you are lucky that will be it. Obviously keep an eye on the low water light.
It sometimes helps to remove airlocks by massaging the big radiator hoses.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

Many thanks.
I will try that
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

Important tech tip.

I replaced my Antifeeze last month and upon tightening the thermostat housing bleed screw, it duly broke off and fell down towards the open part of the flywheel housing, luckily it missed the hole. This is a bad design where anything that is dropped can fall directly into the flywheel teeth, I have since made an aliminium guard to blank the hole off.
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

Many thanks for the tip.
pwykes wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:59 pm Important tech tip.

I replaced my Antifeeze last month and upon tightening the thermostat housing bleed screw, it duly broke off and fell down towards the open part of the flywheel housing, luckily it missed the hole. This is a bad design where anything that is dropped can fall directly into the flywheel teeth, I have since made an aliminium guard to blank the hole off.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

In my experience; this engine is very easy to bleed. I remove the small pipe off the top of the thermostat housing & the top radiator bleed screw, then fill it up with antifreeze until it comes out of the openings. Then I replace the pipe & screw, and usually all the air is gone without any further trouble.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

David wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:26 pm In my experience; this engine is very easy to bleed. I remove the small pipe off the top of the thermostat housing & the top radiator bleed screw, then fill it up with antifreeze until it comes out of the openings. Then I replace the pipe & screw, and usually all the air is gone without any further trouble.

Hope that helps.

Nice and straightforward. Thanks