Oil level/pressure BX1.9TRS

BX Tech talk
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Oil level/pressure BX1.9TRS

Post by Gordon »

Hi, the oil level and pressure is a combination gauge. On turning on ignition the level is shown, but on starting the car the backlight stays on. I've fitted a replacement pressure sensor but same thing happens. On driving the oil pressure warning red light doesn't come on. Any suggestions please.
Thanks.
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Oil level/pressure BX1.9TRS

Post by Jaba »

There is a timer control unit plugged onto the rear of the gauge on the dash panel. Sounds like this has failed or has become unplugged or is not getting voltage or a signal from the pressure sensor. Try replugging all of the connectors to the dash first.

As BX problems go this is a minor one...........
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

Thanks Jaba, I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

Took out the dash facia, no obvious problem and changing to a replacement instrument facia still didn't fix the issue. Changed the oil level measurement gauge without any impact. Oil level back light staying on presumably not switching over to pressure measurement.
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
David
BXpert

Post by David »

From my understanding, you have a problem with the circuit board behind the instrument panel. The rest of the circuit is fairly straight forward and in general there is nothing to go wrong. There is just the two sensors on the engine (the level sensor & the actual pressure sensor) & the 3 connecting wires; which all go to the instrument panel. The Pressure sensor wire goes to the 2nd pin of plug 4 (if I remember correctly) that goes into the back of the actual instrument panel, & the other 2 from the level sensor go to the 2 pins inside the 3 pin connector into the back of the suspected circuit board (the 3rd being ignition live).

I had a fault with mine, and in the end I removed the level part of the gauge as it tends to be unreliable anyway & just wired it to just show the pressure, using a basic BX PCB & another fuel gauge clock in the place of the oil clock instead of the oil gauge clock itself.

I also removed the sensor from the engine & just put a blanking plug in the level sensor hole as per the basic BX's

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I’m sure that no TRS has a pressure gauge fitted, only GTi etc, when you start the car the gauge should give a level readying for a few seconds then go off again.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
bowei001
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bowei001 »

Our TRS (1986 Mk1) works the way that Tim said, no pressure gauge, only a level gauge.
Gordon
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Gordon »

Thanks Tim and David for your comments. Previously the oil gauge gave the level reading, then the backlight went out, and I understood that the indicator position then gave a relative indication of pressure - not a graduated scale as for GTI but the indicator position never cut out and went to the "zero" position ( certainly possible that I'm mistaken, but as the indicator was to the right of the dial and didn't fall to "zero" on the left I assumed it gave a relative pressure although no scale present ) with a low pressure red light warning. Admittedly after the oil level backlight went out I've seen the indicator position sometimes in different positions on the scale but it didn't cut out after ignition started or after 30 seconds. Now the backlight to the level measurement doesn't go out at all.
Gordon
1948 Light15
1966 ID19
1991 BX 1.9GTi 4x4
1994 Xantia 2.0SX
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Gordon

The only measurement it gave then is just level, it sounds like maybe the sender unit is now faulty (not uncommon), I had a BX 16 Athena which never worked, it lit up but the gauge never moved.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....