rear suspension cylinder removal.

BX Tech talk
valerie
Confirmed BX'er

rear suspension cylinder removal.

Post by valerie »

Hi.
I'm trying to remove the rh rear suspension cylinder from my bx estate. I've followed all the instructions in the Haynes manual, all pipes and the push rod have been removed, but I still can't withdraw the cylinder. I can't dislodge the large double retaining spring and retaining plate, at the front of the cylinder Any ideas, anyone?
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: rear suspension cylinder removal.

Post by rutter123 »

The retaining spring has hooks on the back of it you will need to unhook it, its a little fiddly, and you will also need to remove the pipe fitting from the hyd cylinder as it passes through the retaining plate (good luck with that as the fittings seize into the housing) have you removed the R shaped clip that holds the rod in situ?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
valerie
Confirmed BX'er

Post by valerie »

Hi,
Iv'e removed the rod spring, disconnected the leak off pipes, removed the rod and gaiter, so everything is clear. I've tried poking and pushing the retaining spring, but so far no joy.
I might try a screwdriver with a notch cut in the tip, to see if I can disengage it.
The hp pipe broke right at the fitting. I might try some plusgas, heat, and a pair of mini stilsons, to see if I can get that off, but that spring is going to be a big problem.
Thanks for the advice.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

You need to push the spring in towards the retaining plate to unhook it, these springs aren't the strongest try not to bend it
Not sure you'll get the cylinder out without removing the pipe fitting as it protrudes through the retaining plate, these rear cylinders can be a headache esp with seized fittings, yes use a little heat to extract the old one try using an 8mm socket on the fitting rather than grips that will round it off. Most of them do come out with a little gentle persuasion but don't snap the top of the fitting off-which does happen, if you do it can be drilled out and re-tapped
The job can be made a lot easier if you remove the complete suspension arm for the sake of a few more bolts.
valerie
Confirmed BX'er

Post by valerie »

ok.I'll have another go tomorrow.
The thought has just occurred that if I have to undo the hp pipe fitting in order to get the cylinder out,
then I don't have to take the cylinder out at all, because the problem is just the broken hp pipe.
My original thinking was that I had to get the cylinder out so that I could clamp the hp pipe fitting in the vice and unscrew it that way.
It might be that I've just made a lot of extra work for myself, through not thinking things through.
thanks for the advice.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

It's unlikely you'll get the fitting out in situ tho you can give it a go, it's prob the most awkward and inaccessible hard line to replace, we all love laying under a bx in January, don't we?
valerie
Confirmed BX'er

Post by valerie »

Just had another thought!
I could weld a larger nut on top of the rounded off fitting, thus giving the necessary purchase to turn the thing with an ordinary ring spanner.
I am also a carer, so escaping from the house to tackle the car frequently means starting work as the light is fading.
However, I shall persevere. I find that doing a little bit each day is much better than trying to get the whole job done in a day, and just getting utterly exhausted.
That's how I did the steering rack, it took a couple of months, but I did get it finished, and no leaks.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

It sounds like you're over complicating it to me. As Mr Rutter has said, remove all the springs, clips & brackets holding the cylinder in, and if you say that the pipe has burst anyway, then just cut it off near the union, then the cylinder will come out of the axle. Once it's on the bench you can then go about removing the old union fitting. The last (and only ones) that I did were completely stuck, so I actually clamped the 8mm nut in a vice and then turned the cylinder to unscrew them. It destroyed the nuts, but at least I could reuse the cylinders.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

If you haven't already brought your replacement pipe I would recommend Pleaides in Sawtry to supply as they don't corrode like o/e. Also come with 10mm fittings which makes things more user friendly.