BX 19D Cutting out after a second

BX Tech talk
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

BX 19D Cutting out after a second

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Hi all

I'm the proud owner of this delightful BX Meteor 19D Auto. Delightfully slow!

Now, it had a nasty immobiliser fitted. This was a simple affair that just was just spliced into the fusebox into a wire that seems to activate the glow plug circuit and the stop solenoid. It looks like someone had been in there before and half removed it, which makes things a bit confusing, as there's a few wires that are no longer connected. There was one other wire spliced in, that according to my continuity testing, was connected to nothing. There was only one immobiliser chip, and the connections on it are very dodgy, so I did what any sensible person would do and got rid if of it, and spliced together the original wiring.

Now it starts like a champ, the glow plug circuit is much more reliable, but it cuts out after 1 second or so of running. Stops dead. No spluuter, nothing. This is accompanied by a relay click, which led me to believe that the stop solenoid relay is cutting out. Sure enough, this was verified by feeding 12v directly from the battery to the stop solenoid, at which point it runs happily. Curiously, when I bridge the stop solenoid to 12v, it also activates the glow plug circuit- not sure if that's normal.

I've used a jump lead to connect the engine to the negative terminal to rule out a dodgy earth. I guess it'd possible that the immobiliser chip has a transistor or something in it that is behaving differently when it has 12v, therefore my continuity tests aren't telling the full story, and I'm missing a connection somewhere...

Any ideas??!
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Re: BX 19D Cutting out after a second

Post by xantia_v6 »

Have you managed to feed the stop solenoid from the glow plug relay?
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

It seems that way, but all I've done is spliced one wire.. Do you know where the solenoid relay is physically located?
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

The immobilizer in an alarm system is usually only a relay to cut the wire from ignition switch to starter motor. As you have an autobox, it may be connected to the relay that does the job when the gear selector is somewhere else than P or N. Sorry, don't have an idea where it is located as the only original auto BX I have allready has a bypass-switch because the relay is not always working (: . If you find the brains of the immobilizer, just follow the wires and undo everything. There may be a real mess, seen quite a few cars after garages who think they knew how to install alarms or central lockings... big news: they really didn't.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Looking at the circuit in the Revue Technique the cut off relay gets its live feed from connector 3 on the glow plug timer. No 3 is the only lead shown with a double wire possibly black. The relay which is mounted somewhere nearby, on the wing possibly, then feeds the solenoid. It should be easy enough to rewire or even provide a new ignition on feed to the relay's coil and +live in connector.
This assumes that the immobiliser has not cut the earth wire for the relay coil.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Jaba wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:38 pm Looking at the circuit in the Revue Technique the cut off relay gets its live feed from connector 3 on the glow plug timer. No 3 is the only lead shown with a double wire possibly black. The relay which is mounted somewhere nearby, on the wing possibly, then feeds the solenoid. It should be easy enough to rewire or even provide a new ignition on feed to the relay's coil and +live in connector.
This assumes that the immobiliser has not cut the earth wire for the relay coil.
That’s exactly the kind of info I’m looking for, thanks! Where are you finding the circuit diagram? The one in my HBOL is indecipherable...
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

As stated above in the French Revue Technique. Glad to help out. Good luck, it SHOULD be easy to fix.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Thanks, is there a scan of that kicking around?
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Looking at the BX diesel Haynes the Visa circuit has the same arrangement for the preheat and fuel cutoff using the same number 3 terminal, see above.
Someone may know if the Revue is on line somewhere. I bought mine in France.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As with all BX diesels, ensure you are getting full throttle, sometimes the cable is slack and the pedal itself can be bent!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Getting closer...

The solenoid relay was missing, it was running directly from the feed on terminal 3 on the glow plug relay. I’ve put a new one in now.

However, that feed is dropping out for a fraction of a second after it starts... why could that possibly be? Sometimes the engine has enough momentum to get past the dropout, it’s all very odd.

Does anyone have a layout for the fusebox?

I’m quite tempted to take feed from position 2 straight off the ignition barrel, to see if that doesn’t suffer the dropout. Otherwise I can find a position 1 feed as a temporary bodge.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Ignition switch?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

That did cross my mind..
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Picking up 12v ignition feed from the rad fans or the blower fan would be the easiest. The prob might be a dodgy contact in the starter inhibitor switch on the gearbox. Either way you are nearly there.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

is the ignition switch the same key as the rest, i had an issue with glow plugs and it was the ignition switch itself
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....