BX Tech talk
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Modified windscreen spraybar

Post by white exec »

Too windy today to crawl under to fit new rack gaiters, so decided to mod the spraybar instead, as it was a job that could largely be done in the workshop.

Even though the original loop spraybar had all its holes clear, and the pump was delivering ok, the net result was that the upper portion of the wiper blade/screen wasn't getting wetted properly.

So, decided to follow an idea here, and make up a spray-tube that ran the complete length of the wiper blade.
Made in 4.5mm OD black polythene (irrigation) pipe, and a couple of tee-pieces.
Feed taken from the original wiper-shaft rubber pipe, and along the wiper arm:
DSCF3798r.jpg
Used the two original clips to carry the 4.5mm tube to a couple of tee-pieces (no elbow handy) at the centre of the blade:
DSCF3801r.jpg
New 4.5mm spray tube goes full length of the blade, and is stopped off at each end with a small screw. Attached with a few very small cable ties. Six holes (0.9mm) along the length of the tube:
DSCF3796r.jpg
Wash is delivered as six tracks direct to the screen. It'll do for the moment!
DSCF3804r.jpg
Chris
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Re: Modified windscreen spraybar

Post by white exec »

PS...
Working well, but flow from the wiper shaft rubber tube only producing a 10cm fountain.
As described, found the steel tube/nipple clogged with lots of soft rust. Cleaned out with a 2mm drill and a straight length of wire.
Nipple now delivering a 2m squirt, and screen really well wetted by the six jets. \:D/
Brownie points all round.

One more small job to do is to connect the two reservoirs - 4mm banana sockets at the ready.
Chris
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Nice mod! My spray loop is only delivering water to the upper half of the window at the moment, probably just clogged holes but always looking for a better option, might have to give this a go when I've got some spare time =D>
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

David
BXpert

Post by David »

Interesting mod. The spray bar didn't work on my car, so I fitted actual spray jets out of a fiat into my scuttle panel. IIRC, they just slotted straight in without modifying the car in any way & they look like they're supposed to be there.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

I had ordered a couple of tidy twin spray jets (just arrived), in case the spray bar experiment didn't work, so they remain a good fallback. The dramatic improvement was cleaning out the shaft tube.
Chris