Diesel - won't start

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Diesel - won't start

Post by Dollywobbler »

My Mk1 RD has decided that it doesn't want to run any more. Try to start it but there's not even a whiff of a potential start. If the fuel gauge is to be believed, there's plenty of fuel, but it would seem that none is making it to the engine. Ran fine last time I used it!

Fuel primer is firm but pumping doesn't result in any firing. Struggling to do too much to it due to a back injury but wondered if anyone had any thoughts that I haven't had yet.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ian,

if there is any air getting into the fuel system she wont start. Experienced this with Sophie. Initially she was running very rough and just got worse and worse. Then just gave up and although she turned over just would not go.
Suggest you bypass the fuel filter as suggested in earlier posts to prove it one way or another. Still reccon you have a buggered filter/primer.
Hope the back gets better bud, used to get a lot of this myself till i went self employed doing manual work, put on a lot of muscle and now not a problem but i know where you are coming from.

Andy
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yeah, I had planned to bypass the fuel filter but can't actually do 'owt on the car. Bending over an engine is just not possible at the moment. Just thought I'd see if there was anything else I could have missed.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

As you have been driving her i feel its just a processs of elimination and i reccon the filter is the prime suspect. Could be wrong of course but its a simple fix if it is the case. Problem is finding the part.

Andy
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

The diaphragms in the Rotodiesel filter bodies can fail and let air in, I sealed one up with silicone around the plunger, I used to replace the filter on that car at the top of a big hill and roll down in gear to prime it. the hardest one to locate was a split in the rubber fuel pipe down the back of the engine, where in Wales are you ?
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

There has definitely been an air leak somewhere. I think this is why she's a little down on power. I tried looking down the back of the engine but it's hard to see anything down there (not helped by the fact that she's a travelling oil leak!).

I'm in mid-Wales, about 12 miles east of Aberystwyth.
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

Shame I am not closer, I could have had a look.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: Diesel - won't start

Post by ken newbold »

Dollywobbler wrote: Fuel primer is firm but pumping doesn't result in any firing. Struggling to do too much to it due to a back injury but wondered if anyone had any thoughts that I haven't had yet.
Stop solenoid on the pump.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Funnily enough, I did activate the stop solenoid the other day by accident, in a 'what does this do? Oh, the engine's stopped' kind of a way. However, I have driven the car since. I did check it wasn't out of place but is there any other way to check it?
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

A finger on to of the stop solenoid and get someone to turn the ignition on and off, you can hear and sort of feel the solenoid working, I once had a dirty contact inside the heater plug relay that gave the symptoms you describe, as could a couple of heater plugs down, not a difficult job on the old RD.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:Funnily enough, I did activate the stop solenoid the other day by accident, in a 'what does this do? Oh, the engine's stopped' kind of a way.
I think Ken means the electrical fuel shut off, not the manual engine stop.

I've known the plunger stick (often after a period of time standing), and also the electrical connection on the top to fail. I seem to remember some none standard wiring around that area, so especially worth checked 12V is present when it should be.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Solenoid sounds a distinct possibility. I can't see that an air leak would suddenly cause it to not run at all.

Where is the electrical thing?

The plug relay is at least clicking as it should. Not actually got a voltage check on the plugs yet.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Top of the pump, right hand end and just above the throttle cable bracket in this picture, under the rubber boot.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

an air leak can cause an airlock and stop it running.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

mat_fenwick wrote:Top of the pump, right hand end and just above the throttle cable bracket in this picture, under the rubber boot.

Ah, that's what that is! Cheers Mat. Back seems much better this evening than it was first thing (I could barely walk!) so hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday will see me in fit shape to investigate.