BX wiring plug hairpins/locking wires

BX Tech talk
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

BX wiring plug hairpins/locking wires

Post by vulgalour »

Occasionally my low coolant light comes on because the plug doesn't actually always sit perfectly on the sensor and I noticed recently that it doesn't have that little locking wire/hairpin thing that many of the other plugs do.

Can I get the hairpin/wire somewhere? Should there be one there? Is it just a poor fit and there shouldn't actually be a wire there at all?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: BX wiring plug hairpins/locking wires

Post by Jaba »

Can you cable tie it in place ? I usually leave those clips off to make it easier to get the connector off next time as they are such a fiddle to get at.
I might have one somewhere if you mean the sort of rectangular C shaped retaining wire for 2 pin connectors.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Here's the plug.

I'm not 100% sure it actual does take a clip now I look at it in photographs, I just assumed it would when looking at it in person since a lot of the other plugs do too and it would definitely help keep it in place.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

That is not the type to have a retaining clip. You could retension/reform the connectors, thats polite for bend them a bit.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
vulgalour
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I have tried that to no avail, annoyingly. *sigh* cable ties it is then I suppose.