Hello all, just a short what do you think the best tyre
would be for my valver bridgestone 195/60/h14 £90 a cornner
or the michelin 185 h rated £70 ish'
:) :)

David
BXpert

Re: Re: West Bay Valver

Post by David »

Unless you do a lot of miles to wear the Bridgestone's out I'd go with the Michelins. Bridgestone's generally grip well, but after 2 years or so they start cracking, so can become dangerous before you can wear the tread out.

Michelins are great all over, but are generally more expensive. They wear & age well (as in they don't start cracking quickly) & are soft so they compliment the suspension on the BX.

As for the size, it doesn't really make much difference what you put on it provided that they sit well on the rims, I've currently got 175/65/14's on my BX, But I've also had 185/60/14's on it. There's also the 195/60/14's that you have mentioned which I think are standard on the 16V cars, but I've never tried these on my car. I wouldn't go any lower than 175 on the 6J wheels though as the tyres would start to look stretched beyond that.

And as for the speed rating, you can put any on PROVIDED that it is not rated lower than what the car will actually do for the sake of insurance purposes.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
greendale65
BXpert

Post by greendale65 »

Hi, thanks all info helps i'm pretty sure i will go for the michelins.
:) :)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Don’t fit 185, it could invalidate your insurance
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

You can't get 195s off the shelf, and a H rating (130mph) is not right for the BX. Michelin do special order 195 V rated tyres in their classic range for more than the cars value. The few places that advertise 195s don't actually have stock, I've called most of them in the North West.

The debate about insurance validation was had recently, those who contacted their insurers found the insurer wasn't concerned.
There is a question of whether you need to inform the insurer, as they love an excuse not to pay out, but I suspect the reality is unless you're involved in a fatality, no one is going to spend the time or effort to look in detail at a £2000 payout.

Oh, I should add, I've been on 185s for 15+ years.