1992 BX 19 tzi cracked engine block

BX Tech talk
pdl1989
My Cars: Citroen BX tzi 1992

1992 BX 19 tzi cracked engine block

Post by pdl1989 »

So I discovered recently my car was leaking coolant and the other day took it to the mechanic, who tells me the engine block is cracked. It still runs well and doesn’t overheat or show any signs of this other than the leak.
The mechanic is going to see what he can do, but I wondered if anyone here might know what my options are, whether or not I can permanently seal it or if I’d need a new engine block, where I might find one (I’m in Australia), or what it’s likely to cost.
Thanks in advance
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: 1992 BX 19 tzi cracked engine block

Post by Jaba »

Eeek that sounds terminal - if the diagnosis is correct that is. If you are lucky he might find it is just a rusted out core plug which is simple to replace. Did the car ever live in an area which had freezing temperatures during winter because freezing coolant is what usually causes this.

Some photos would be good before giving any further advice.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
pdl1989

Post by pdl1989 »

I’m on the Gold Coast. Hot and sunny here. Not sure where the car was before, but I bought it from even further up north where it’s even hotter.
I posted some photos of the underside of the car when I spotted the leak but have no photos of the actual engine.
Here’s the link to that.

https://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22898

I suppose if it is a cracked block my best bet would be to replace it but out my way I think I’d struggle to find a replacement block. I guess welding it is an option. I keep hearing about something called k-seal but I’m sceptical.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

It is often possible to have cracked alloy blocks 'stitched' back together. It's a common scenario in the SM world (car, not hobby), where they can fracture due to a lack of antifreeze in winter months.
That said, an empty block casing isn't actually very heavy, so assuming you could find one in the UK (and I imagine you wouldn't have too much trouble) then shipping it may not be as painful as you might think.
I have a spare block casing, but sadly it's a 16v, which is slightly different. I also have a spare TD engine, but the 205GTi forum may yield better results. There's a chance the 1.6 version is the same, too, though you'd need to check.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
pdl1989

Post by pdl1989 »

Sounds like the mechanics aren’t too keen on trying to weld the crack, but I’ve found a DZK engine from a BX enthusiast on Aussiefrogs. I’ll pick it up soon and replace the engine outright, and post the results.
Thanks for all the advice.