Activa Criticism in Wikipedia

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Activa Criticism in Wikipedia

Post by CitroXim »

Looking through wikipedia the other evening I found this little snippet.
The first to try this was in fact a medium sized sedan in Europe, Citroen Xantia Activa. The Activa system was in fact an antiroll bar that stiffened controlled by the suspension ECU under hard cornering. The car rolled at any time at most 2 degrees. Unfortunately the artificial feeling of that and further disadvantages of the car (not the suspension) made it a commercial failure.
The full article is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar

I found this text rather surprising, particularly the bits about the artificial feel, the further disadvantages of the car and the commercial failure. It made me both rather :cry: and :evil:

A most odd piece, presumably written by an American who uses the term "Sway Bar" for an Anti-Roll Bar. I wonder of the authour ever drove one to make such sweeping conclusions :twisted:

I love my Activa and nothing quite feels the same. I was out in my 205GTi yesterday, driving rather enthusiastically and found the body roll rather disconcerting after the Activa :P As for feeling artificial, I've never read so much rubbish. It just feels neutral.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

Having recently visited Land Rover's test facility and driven Range Rover and RR Sport models fitted with their so called 'active anti-roll' I'm at a loss to see whether their system actually does anything at all to control roll :? . Land Rover went rather quiet when I mentioned the roll control demonstrated by a Xantia Activa :P

As for 'further disadvantages' well what were they? Bearing in mind that on mainland Europe Activa's could be had with a wide variety of engines, the issue of high fuel consumption couldn't necessarily be levelled at the car.

As for the Xantia being a commercial failure well the writer clearly demonstrates his lack of knowledge there.

Hmm, as far as I can see the writers' opinion is somewhat flawed, but then if he is a Yank I excuse him, as he would have been brought up on either Yank Tanks or those awful handling Jap cars of a few years ago, hence his lack of knowledge or understanding of the subject :wink: .
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

Americans know nothing about european cars, and anyone that reckons the Activa was lacking in other areas is most likely misinformed, apart from the fuel consumption, it made a very interesting car, i think its lack of 'success' comes down to the high price it commanded and lack of understanding together with its complexity. Shame really.

Gareth
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Xantiaman wrote:Americans know nothing
Gareth
I agree :lol:
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

It's on Wikipedia... go edit it.... :lol:
I NEED a BX TD.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Dickieg wrote:Having recently visited Land Rover's test facility and driven Range Rover and RR Sport models fitted with their so called 'active anti-roll' I'm at a loss to see whether their system actually does anything at all to control roll . Land Rover went rather quiet when I mentioned the roll control demonstrated by a Xantia Activa
Now that is interesting Richard. Maybe they thought they'd learn from the lessons learned during development of the BR APT and the Pendolino tilting trains. The APT, reliability issues apart, was acually rather too good at what it did and upset passengers because there was no sensory perception of going around bends at all and the passengers felt sick. The Pendolino and all other tilting trains delibarately introduce some cornering sensation to avoid this.

The only time I've travelled as a passenger in an Activa, my own actually, being driven rather spiritedly by a trusted pal, I found the cornering most comforting. In fact, very little sensation at all. Generally, I find any roll very disconcerting and unsellling. That is one reason why I like my Activa so much; there is none.
Xantiaman wrote:Americans know nothing about european cars, and anyone that reckons the Activa was lacking in other areas is most likely misinformed, apart from the fuel consumption, it made a very interesting car, i think its lack of 'success' comes down to the high price it commanded and lack of understanding together with its complexity. Shame really.

Gareth
Bang on Gareth. My thoughts precisely :wink:
Jim

Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

MikeT wrote:
Xantiaman wrote:Americans know nothing
Gareth
I agree :lol:
:lol:

Don't forget that the thing about Wikipedia is that anybody can edit it (even non-CIA staff), and this article does start with the banner:
Wikipedia wrote:"This article or section is in need of attention from an expert on the subject".
:wink:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Baldbazza wrote: Don't forget that the thing about Wikipedia is that anybody can edit it (even non-CIA staff), and this article does start with the banner:
Wikipedia wrote:"This article or section is in need of attention from an expert on the subject".
:wink:
Yes, indeed. Not that particular article though as that is a general article on ARBs. What Wiki needs is a separate article on the Xantia Activa as it only gets a passing mention in the main Xantia entry. The ARB article could then link to the Activa entry. I believe it either used to have one or one was once planned as there was a red link to the Xantia Activa some time ago.

I'm not up to that task though :roll: Perhaps us Activa owners could do a collective articale for it?
Jim

M

Re: Activa Criticism in Wikipedia

Post by M »

citrojim wrote: I was out in my 205GTi yesterday, driving rather enthusiastically and found the body roll rather disconcerting after the Activa :.
You try cornering "enthusiatically" in a Multispace - its brown trousers time Im telling you.... Even my non Hydractive Xantia cornered well I always thought.
Kevmayer

Post by Kevmayer »

Take another look at the Wikipedia page. There's a new addition at the bottom.
Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE on 02 plate. Used to have a Xantia Activa (N) Xantia SX 1.9 td (P) and BX 1.9 TZD saloon (K)
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

Very good :D .

Is that a plea of guilty? :wink:
99 Xantia HDi Exclusive Est
98 Xantia V6 Exclusive
97 Xantia VSX TD
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

That's better :D

You ae ideally qualified to write it Kev. Do you still miss your Activa?
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Sorry to butt in but isn't 1g just what we experience when we stand stll?
Surely an activa can manage a bit more than that when it's moving.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

elma wrote:Sorry to butt in but isn't 1g just what we experience when we stand stll?
Surely an activa can manage a bit more than that when it's moving.
Yes it certainly can. Although I've never tried it, it is apparantly possible to centrifuge your passengers against the doors going round and round a roundabout in an Activa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How many G does that take?

There is also the legend that Activa wheels are specially strenghtened to withstand the cornering forces. All I know is the tyres are pumped up very hard, 2.5 bar front and 2.3 bar rear.

There may be some truth in both statements as you just don't realise how hard you do in fact corner in an Activa until you realise how fast they can eat front tyres :P

I had the interesting experience of following an Activa the other day. I was surprised at just how flat they do corner. At first I did not realise it was an Activa but as the chase continued it soon became clear. Proof positive came up when I pulled up alongside it at a junction.

They do spoil you though. Once driven you never want anything else.
Jim

Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

citrojim wrote:
There is also the legend that Activa wheels are specially strenghtened to withstand the cornering forces. All I know is the tyres are pumped up very hard, 2.5 bar front and 2.3 bar rear.

They do spoil you though. Once driven you never want anything else.
I couldnt see anything special about the construction of the wheels when i refurbish mine although if they were, it would be to compensate for the corrosion they inevitably face after 10 years of driving!

Also i reckon the high pressures is to reduce the flexing in the side walls which would add to the 'roll' around the corner, this could be part of the reason why they dont ride aswell as lesser models, tyres are actually quite high profile too.

I've set my tyre pressures to 2.4 bar front and 2.2 rear because mine is just a 1.9TD, the original pressures for standard wheel/tyre combo was 2.3 front and 2.1 rear, i did actually notice a softening in the ride when i dropped the pressures down from 'Activa' settings to my own. Steering wasnt as sharp either 8)

Gareth
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO