LHM return feeds

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
MikeT
BXpert

LHM return feeds

Post by MikeT »

Today I tried my hand at cleaning the LHM filters for the first time and am glad to report it went ok-ish. What I did notice was one return input on the top of the filter housing was simply bunged without a feed to it. Is this usual for Mk1's to have a "spare"?

After proudly refitting and reclipping all hoses, topping it up and cleaning the mess made I was deflated a little to realise I hadn't refitted the rubber collar that sits between the tank and the housing. :x

I think I'll be revisiting the filters again very soon so just put it somewhere safe for now and will keep an eye out for spillages in the meantime.

It was interesting to note the large filter was not clogged but the thinner longer filter was pretty mucky. Additionally, the bottom cap of the level indicator tube/housing had a fair layer of silt so I guess it's ok to assume the tank has too.

All in all, the hyraulics obviously needs a good flushing.
98 Xant 1.9TD fuelled on veg
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Yep, there is often a spare or two Mike. It's a universal thing and one tank fits all.

Good effort though, and what a shame to forget the ring. LHM will spill as you go round corners without it or, in my case, even with it fitted. Maybe the "g" forces of Activa cornering makes the LHM spill :P

If there is considerable silt in there, as you say, you really need to treat it to a good Hydraflushing.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Thanks for the reassurance Jim, I was concerned someone bodged something previously.

I'm off out to Sainsbury's to recycle my plastic fuel bottles so will chuck it around every corner to test your theory about spillage. :wink:

I'm going to take the long and lazy approach to flushing it. First I'll see what gets caught up in the filters after the next 500 miles or so and I'll also clean the tank out then. I will also bleed the brakes to flush more muck out. I'll repeat this until it no longer has any cleansing effect and then go for a 1000 miler hydraflush.
98 Xant 1.9TD fuelled on veg
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking