Alarm problem.

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
Spud1962

Alarm problem.

Post by Spud1962 »

Since I first got my Xantia estate (2.0 VSX) about 6 months ago,or the previous year or so that my father owned the vehicle, the alarm or the remote fob has not been working, so we had been just using the key.

This was no problem to either of us till the battery went flat while the vehicle was out of use for approx 3 months.

Since recharging the battery and running the vehicle, the alarm keeps going off, this can be silenced by the button on the dash, but not for long....
Also the red LED on the dash flashes when engine is running and is permanently lit when the car is locked up.

Could this be due to the remote plip not being operational, I have tried on various occasions to get the remote to work, but with no lasting efect. It works ok while testing, but not in normal use when you need it.

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0 VSX Estate
1989 Mitsubishi Pajero
Used to have a BX and an XM
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

It'll not be the remotes causing this Spud.

There are a few possibilities. I have similar issues on the 2.1TD I'm soon to get so in a week or so I may be able to offer some better advice :wink:

I'd check the following:

The ultrasonic sensors on the doors for spiders webs and other debris.

The door courtesy light switches, especially the tailgate one (I belive it's a tilt switch on the estate deep in the door). If it is a standard PSA one, these are troublesome and, although I've not located it yet, there is apparantly a switch to detect if the bonnet is opened. Wherever it is, that'll be well worth a check as it's in a hostrile environment.

The Alarm ECU is down beside the passenger seat attached to the inner sill. The passengers footwell generally is a favourite place for a Xantia to be damp, usually because of a failed windscreen scuttle-piece seal. A leak here allows rainwater to run down the heater intake and straight under the carpet where the foam absorbs gallons and gallons of it before you are aware. This can make the Alarm ECU and its associated wiring damp and corroded and lead to spurious alarms.

Fixing the leak is easy, a bead of automotive quality RTV silicone between the bottom of the windscreen and the scuttle-piece cures it. Often they leak here after a screen is replaced and the fitter not being aware of the importance of sealing the scuttle-piece to the new windscreen.

If this is the problem, the carpets will have to come out to dry them. Not difficult, just awkward. I've done two now so I can advise exactly.

As I say Spud, give me a little time on this problem and I'll report what I find on my new 2.1TD :)
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Spud1962

Post by Spud1962 »

Hi Jim
Thanks for your reply, The car has been sat a while now, so could be any of the things you have suggested I suppose. Just got to get my Pajero MOT'd then I can devote a bit more time to the Xantia alarm and its suspension fluid leak.
One good thing is that the airbag warning light doesn't stay on after the car has been started.(it used to)

All the best

Spud 8)
1989 Mitsubishi Pajero
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

No worries Spud 8)

Where are you leaking hydraulic fluid from?
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Spud1962

Post by Spud1962 »

Somewhere near the nearside rear wheel.......
Didn't know it was leaking till it went for the MOT, which was aborted by the tester, who had great delight in frowning and shaking his head at me.
1989 Mitsubishi Pajero
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

citrojim wrote:The ultrasonic sensors on the doors for spiders webs and other debris.
Faulty ultrasonic sensors is a common fault, about £26 for a new set from Citroen, you can work out if it is them by pressing the alarm switch on the dash prior to setting the alarm. This turns them off so if that stops the fault, you've found the cause :)
citrojim wrote:The door courtesy light switches, especially the tailgate one (I belive it's a tilt switch on the estate deep in the door). If it is a standard PSA one, these are troublesome and, although I've not located it yet, there is apparantly a switch to detect if the bonnet is opened. Wherever it is, that'll be well worth a check as it's in a hostrile environment.
The bonnet switch is directly under one of the catches, N/S IIRC.
99 Xantia HDi Exclusive Est
98 Xantia V6 Exclusive
97 Xantia VSX TD
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas