Power Steering Hydraulic Pipe

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
windysurferuk

Power Steering Hydraulic Pipe

Post by windysurferuk »

I need to change the hydraulic pipe which runs from the hydraulic pump down to the power steering rack.

I can't tell if the pipe is in three pieces or not.It starts out as a metal pipe the goes into a rubber pie behind the rad andd then back to a metal pipe.
Does the pipe split at these juctions?

Is any one breaking a Xantia in the northwest/Lancashire/Blackburn area which has a decent pipe on it?

Any advice on the procedure to change this would also be very helpful

cheers

Windy
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Welcome Windy, this pipe on eBay might be of interest,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-Power- ... dZViewItem

David

David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

I'd be very surpised if the BX pipe fits... although it does make it look like the pipe will come in one piece.

Post up the year and engine, and I'll have a look on Citroen service to get a part no and price (if it's an early one, does it have a singe or twin output pump?).

No doubt Citroen will have made part of it from unobtanium and it will cost ££££ :roll:

I expect fitting it will be a case of undoing both ends and and clamps and then feeding the pipe out and the new one in. On start up, wind the steering lock to lock a few times to expel any air. If this is a twin output pump there will be no need to depressure the suspension.
I NEED a BX TD.
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

The car isa 1998 2.1td with aircon.

I've rang Citreon and the part number is 4023h6 £72.90 +vat :shock:

Thought about getting one at the scrappy but it will probably be a rusty as mine!

How can I tell if it a twin outlet pump?

It would make the job a bit easier if I do not have to depressure the system.

It looks like you need to be a gynecologist to be able to undo the end at the power steering rack :?
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

That part no (and price :cry: ) looks right. No hint in citroen-service how it's fitted though.

A 98 will be twin output pump (there will be 2 steel output pipes on the pump, one for PAS and the other for suspension). The rack end shouldn't be too bad once you get it on ramps - might need to take some heatshield or other off. Long thin fingers with 8 joints would certainly help though!
I NEED a BX TD.
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

Yep there are two pipes coming out of the rack.

It is going to be the heat sheild that gets in the way. Hopefully I can just bend it a bit to allow access

Thanks for your help Richard
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

windysurferuk wrote:Yep there are two pipes coming out of the rack.

It is going to be the heat sheild that gets in the way. Hopefully I can just bend it a bit to allow access

Thanks for your help Richard
NO - 2 steel pipes coming out of the PUMP 8)
Anyways - that WILL be the situation on any '95 on Xantia - so dont you worry about that bit.

The power steering circuit is IN-dependent of the brakes and suspension circuit, which holds the accumulator sphere with the stored spare pressure. As you dont touch this circuit - there is no need to depressurise it.
There is no spare pressure source for the power steering, which completely relies on the running engine - thus driving the pump providing the pressure.
NOTE : if you touch the steering wheel while pipe removed, you will empty the ram cylinder cavity. This will give a mess on your driveway - so take measures against spillage.
When job is completed you only have to play with the steering from side to side with engine idling providing pump pressure. Thats all you have do to vent the power steering circuit.

Good luck with the job.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

Thanks for the advice Anders

Picking up new pipe this morning.
Not really looking forward to laying under the car as it Bl**dy FREEZING
outside!!

cheers

Windy
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

Managed to change without any real problems :D