heater & ventilation control illumination

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

heater & ventilation control illumination

Post by pindimar »

Can anyone help with advising how you change the bulb(s)? that illuminate the three dials that control the ventilation system on the fascia of a BX

Can't find this in the Haynes Manual.

Thanks for any help

Greg F
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Pull out the ashtray and coin holder, prise out the door open warning light assembly and there should be a couple of torx head screws behind them to undo.
Pull off the 3 heater knobs - some pull off with fingers (!) whilst others seem to require tugging with a cloth coverered pair of pliers. behind the knobs you will see some more torx screws. Undo.
Then prise out the heater vents at the top. Do not lose the small metal spring clip that is on one side of the vents, they like to drop out and seem to have a powerful force attracting them to inaccesible places.
Behind the vents there are 2 spring clips that need levering outwards towards the middle of the vent channel, this will allow the fascia to be removed. You might need to disconnect the ligher socket too.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I have missed out anything important...
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

Mat's reply

Post by pindimar »

Thanks for that Mat

I'll give it a go and follow your directions

Sorry for the delay in responding; I've been away from the PC for a few days

Thanks again

Greg F
Brian King
BX 4x4 Owner. Brave.

Heater and ventilation control illumination

Post by Brian King »

I always find this irritating about BX's. Why on earth do they have bulbs that are on all the time you are driving, which is after all mostly in daylight. They're only needed a night. No wonder they keep burning out.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

<I always find this irritating about BX's. Why on earth do they have bulbs that are on all the time you are driving, which is after all mostly in daylight. They're only needed a night. No wonder they keep burning out.>

When I got mine from Ken, I noticed that all the bulbs were beautifully bright and resolved to keep them that way by using the dimmer to (nearly) turn them off all the time during the day and only turn them up when needed. I'm sure someone will tell me that voltage will still be going through them but so far it seems to be working.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
Brian King
BX 4x4 Owner. Brave.

heater and ventilation control illumination

Post by Brian King »

Yes, that's exactly what I do now. But still, it is a daft idea, you must admit.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Agreed!
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

After changing all the dial bulbs, I fit an isolating switch.

There is a cut out with a plastic insert located near the dimmer, on the plastic cover under the steering wheel.
A standard rectangular switch fits into this hole a treat.

I have carried out this mod on all my Citroens...
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

The other obvious thing to do is to rewire the dimmer so that it gets its feed from a lights on supply not an ignition on supply. The result is they only come on when you switch on your lights, as they should be IMHO.

I thought everyone did this as this mod has been on the tramontana site since at least eight years ago. Since doing this mod on all my BXs I have never had to change a panel bulb at all.
Last edited by Jaba on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I wired mine as John describes, many years ago. The dashboard lights come on with the headlamps now, the same as all other cars.

Aside from saving the bulbs, it stops me driving away in well lit areas at night with no lights on. I can't see the instruments without headlamps being switched on.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've done a similar job, with a relay so they only come on when the lights AND ignition are on - so if you have to leave it on sidelights for a while when parked it is just the exterior lights and not the dash lights that are on. I know the dash bulbs are only 1.2w each, but the reduced current drain might make the difference between slow to turn over and not starting at all...(been bitten before!)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

just changed the heater illumination bulbs

Post by kevlights »

and found a short cut that saves a lot of hassle;as long as you are careful!!;
once you have the three circular knobs off,you can see the glass of the illumination bulbs ;i just grabbed the glass bulbs with the long nose pliers and pulled them out, of the twist holders, from the front;!!
just like pulling teeth; then taking some bulbs out of holders i bought; and inserted the glass inserts into the panel; in the car from the front ;5 minute job;cheers Kev
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
just a little bit insane and slightly Euro potty