another BX from Romania

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
khan
Confirmed BX'er

another BX from Romania

Post by khan »

Hi
another BX from Romania here. we're talking a BX TZD Turbo 1990, bought from Germany in 1999, and then bought by me in 2005 with ~160.000km (now 250.000), ORGA no. 5093, XUD7TE engine, central locking with IR PLIP, 4 electric windows with one touch driver's side, electric mirror passenger's side, electric sunroof, color code ETB (gris dolmen), 1/3-2/3 backsit. at the time of buying the engine was pretty tired, smoking a lot and making some strange noises. also the hydraulics were in bad shape, pump out of service, power steering out of service, squeeks from the front struts. body work free of rust but full of small bents and creases (a car droved by a woman in Bucharest :-( ), the steel rims were badly injured by the bumps in Romania's roads, no wheel covers, and a lot of other big and small problems, squeeks, broken plastics and so on. no photos unfortunately

Some older pics

Image Image Image

And the modifications

- Xantia 1.9 TD (no EGR) with some 130.000 km, but with the original BX gearbox

Image Image

- Compomotive Motorsport alloys 16J7, ET 36 with 20 mm spacers

- and with the new 205/50-16 tyres Michelin MXM

- electric mirror also on drivers side with the Citroen CX mirrors button, vertically mounted

Image Image Image

- air-conditioning, taken from a salvaged BX

- GTI 16V Mk II front and rear bumpers, air-extractors and eleron (the other parts from the GTI 16V body kit to be assembled, together with a whole body respray)

Image Image

- oil pressure and oil temperature gauges from a GTI 16V together with Pilot gauges for turbo pressure and another oil pressure

Image Image

- and the oil pressure senzor new placement

- lights and windscreen-wiper commands from a Pug 405 Break (the rear windscreen-wiper command on the same stick as the front, because of the numerous problems with the original button)

Image Image

- GTI 16V steering wheel

Image Image

- Pioneer CD player with iPod

Image Image

- new original foglights (very hard to find in Romania)

- new brake units from Xantia Turbo CT 1995 (front discs 283mm in diameter, 26mm thick, rear discs same diameter - 224mm but 11mm thick, calipers 57mm in diam front, 34mm in diam rear, front calipers assembled with 8 mm thick washers because of the new disc layout)

Image Image Image

- complet exhaust line, inox, custom made in a Borla shop in Bucharest, 64 mm in diam downpipe, 57 mm in diam all the way to the end, only one silencer in the back, but it's a head-turner because of the sound!!!

- lower engine mount (the round one) from Xantia HDI
- enlarged rear wheel passages (to accomodate the larger rims)
- front spheres: XM front spheres with 0.7mm center hole, 35 bar pressure; rear spheres: XM front spheres with 0.6mm center hole, 25 bar pressure, not the same flexibility but very firm on the corners
- lowered suspension, approx 20mm front and rear
- brake distributor with 2 drawers (the ancient type, unfortunately the only one in good condition found here)
- painted lateral badges
- radiator grid chromed from a BX Millesime
- winter tyres on 6J15 Pug 307 rims with 185/60-15 tyres, the old 14" rims are not suitable anymore because of the larger brake discs
- double xenon 35W, 5000 deg K lights
- GTI 16V "pyjama" interiors (front and rear seats, door panels, no pics for the moment)

Things to come

- changing the octopus
- complete body respray
- GTI 16V body kit to complete
- changing the wind screen (some dents)
- restauring the original A/C radiator fans wiring, the salvaged BX wiring was incomplete, now it does not work as planned, but it's ok
- installing a rear anti-roll bar from a GTI 16V
- increasing the turbo pressure to 1.1 bar at maximum charge and readjusting the fuel setting to cope with the new turbo pressure

And our club web address

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Wow. Nice job.

Excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us! 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Wicked, welcome aborad, nice looking car.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

What an enormous amount of work you have done on your BX.
Here in the UK we love our BXs - but there are very few of us who have done as many upgrades and modifications as you have.

So FANTASTIC

Keep us informed of your progress with the car.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

hey, thanks for your nice words. more pics to come in a couple of days. until then, feel free to ask anything you want about the car
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, good work! Seems that you've got a good Citroen group there too, along with some nice landscapes.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I thought the roads in Sheffield were bad :lol: :lol:

http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 167ad4.jpg
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Nice piccies Khan and welcome!! Why the (round) lower mount from a Xantia HDi? I thought they were the same as a BX? Have you got a picture of it please?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:I thought the roads in Sheffield were bad :lol: :lol:

That looks a bit like the old road over the middle of Ilkley Moor (Now impassable to motor vehicles). :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

BX Bandit wrote:Nice piccies Khan and welcome!! Why the (round) lower mount from a Xantia HDi? I thought they were the same as a BX? Have you got a picture of it please?
in fact they are not the same, the one for HDI (it's the same for Xantia HDI, Xsara HDI, Pug 206, 406 HDI... and so on) has a bigger oval piece in the center part, not a round one, thus giving a bit more strenght and it's wearing slower than the original. also the engine movement back and forth when changing from acceleration to deceleration it's better restricted with this one. I'm also planning to install a limitation piece for the upper engine mount, like the one in XM 2.1 TD for example.
MULLEY wrote:I thought the roads in Sheffield were bad :lol: :lol:

fortunately this is not a national road, those are looking better than this one :-) at our meetings we like to cross the mountains on roads like this, and here are plenty of roads like this
toddao wrote:Yes, good work! Seems that you've got a good Citroen group there too, along with some nice landscapes.
thanks! the Citroen group it's ok, but the landscape is incredible, believe me! this is a small coverage from a national meeting, 2 years ago

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
BX 2.1 Turbo D12 coming soon
frugg
BXpert

Post by frugg »

WOW :D brilliant pics and a lovely car you have!!
mihaistan
BXpert

Post by mihaistan »

Welcome. I've been expecting you :twisted:
Citroen BX Estate turbo d12
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

khan wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:Nice piccies Khan and welcome!! Why the (round) lower mount from a Xantia HDi? I thought they were the same as a BX? Have you got a picture of it please?
in fact they are not the same, the one for HDI (it's the same for Xantia HDI, Xsara HDI, Pug 206, 406 HDI... and so on) has a bigger oval piece in the center part, not a round one, thus giving a bit more strenght and it's wearing slower than the original. also the engine movement back and forth when changing from acceleration to deceleration it's better restricted with this one. I'm also planning to install a limitation piece for the upper engine mount, like the one in XM 2.1 TD for example.
This is exactly one of my complaints about the BX! I must admit that I haven't noticed any difference at all in the lower mounts between a BX and a Xantia, but my Xantia is a 2.1 and not an HDi so maybe that is the difference???
Again I think the top mount like a Xantia or XM is good BUT, most of the movement will be at the lower mount and I think that a small damper fitted in replacement of the lower mount would be best - but there isn't much room!

Lovely set of Photos by the way, very interesting to see other parts of the world!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

here is the difference between the HDI lower engine mount

and the XU one

there is another cheap solution for the lower engine mount: install it rotated 90 deg in any direction, thus the thicker rubber part will take the shocks and the engine movement will be better controlled. or, of course, u can use a Gr. N one made from polyurethane, but for the diesel, turbo or not, the vibrations will be unbearable. otherwise, the upper engine mount from a Xantia or XM will be ok, I think that this way, with the rotated lower engine mount, the movement will not be transferred towards the lower mount. but pay atention, I'm talking here about the no. 2 part in this image, not about the no. 14

the image is from a Pug 406 2.0 16V petrol engine, but illustrates better what I want to say
BX 2.1 Turbo D12 coming soon
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Welcome along, very interesting set of photos you have there! Many of the modifications are exactly the same as the ones I have carried out, but I am interested in the brakes you have used. I find that driving enthusiastically causes brake fade quite quickly - have you noticed much improvement using the larger discs?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad