Timex and friends

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: Timex

Post by Dollywobbler »

Tim did have the old DTR's front bumper, which might fit better than the current one. That'd improve the looks no end!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I did have a look at the bumper yesterday - surprise surprise nearly all the bolts are either seized up, or the clip nuts are turning. It will have to come off because I think the poor fit is down to the metal under the passenger headlight being bent, but I managed to improve the fit marginally by rotating the plastic bracket 180 degrees and managing to get 2 of the 4 lugs located onto the bumper - at least it doesn't need the tape to hold it now.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Tim did have the old DTR's front bumper, which might fit better than the current one. That'd improve the looks no end!

Sorry I did is the operative word, it may still be in the skip at work, its quite buggered though!

I do have a BX sport Mk1 bumper I can sell you! :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Got a few jobs done at the tech do today (once I got there, christ it's slow :shock: )

Started with replacing the tow electrics, which as with everything wasn't as straight forward as hoped:

Hmmm, something not quite right here scratch...

I think I got it sorted in the end, although I'm still not sure why they did this #-o

I then changed the oil pressure switch. Now the oil pressure switch lights up:

More importantly, it goes out again when the engine starts.

During the storms the water was pouring in through the front passenger door, so I used the wire from the old tow electrics to force the seal out a bit - seemed to help:

so I got a couple of jobs crossed off the list. Unfortunately the drivers door lock has failed - works fine from inside, but the lock on the outside turns without actually doing anything ](*,) Oh well.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

My mk1 diesel goes quite well given the 65bhp, as timex has a later engine with a whopping 71! It should motor along ok, wonder why its so slow?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

There's something not right with it. It's far, far slower than my Mk2 and doesn't want to rev. As Mike was saying yesterday, it's got a massive flat spot at 3000rpm but does seem to pick up again.

Mike - sounds like the linkage might just have come off on the door lock, which is probably my fault as I changed the lock. Should be a simple fix.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Well I can confirm the tow electrics work :D , pity the hazards have decided they only need to warn half the surrounding area that there's a wreck in the vicinity - they must think it's obvious from the passenger side :roll:

On the power front, I'm going to have a look at the pump settings, see if the throttle settings are right, as you seem to push the pedal down half it's travel to get ant response at all out of it. Although it will build up to a good speed, you have the pedal buried in the carpet at the slightest slope, and forget trying to pass anything doing more than 40mph without a mile of clear road ahead of you :oops:

Tomorrow I'm off to Bristol to collect some bits, and hopefully recruit a new member if the guy isn't already here somewhere :D
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Hopefully might just need the throttle cable sorting, i presume the pedal box hasn't cracked?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think that was one of the (long list) of things that Dollywobbler checked, but I'll have another look tomorrow
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Not sure we ever checked the pedal box to be honest. It 'feels' like a fuelling or timing issue to me. It doesn't run as smoothly as it should do (I know no XUD is exactly silent but it just doesn't sound quite right). Put your foot down and it makes a throttle-open sort of a noise, but it does have that massive flat spot. I know the seal on the filter housing is not the best (hence the silicon sealent) so my money is still on an air leak somewhere.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

As its got the later type of engine it should have the later type of air filter (panel type), I remember looking at it and seeing that the the later air intake and early air filter had been bodgedtogether somewhat.

Wonder if you could just do what Phil C did with red baron and have a cone filter instead?
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've wondered the same thing to be honest - the air filter housing has broken away from its bracket, and the bracket itself has split, so both need repair If I'm to use them. Think I'll remove them and store them for when I find the rest of the bits it should have - need to look under the bonnet of your DTR sometime. I'll also look up the Red Baron thread to see exactly what was done.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

citsncycles wrote:I've wondered the same thing to be honest - the air filter housing has broken away from its bracket, and the bracket itself has split, so both need repair If I'm to use them. Think I'll remove them and store them for when I find the rest of the bits it should have - need to look under the bonnet of your DTR sometime. I'll also look up the Red Baron thread to see exactly what was done.

No worries Mike, shame I missed you this weekend as the GT has the same configuration.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Well, I can confirm that the throttle cable is correctly set up (assuming the stop is set correctly :roll: ) Mind you, either I'm getting used to it, or it's going a little better - On the way back from Bristol I had an indicated 85 on the flat, although I believe it over registers officer :D

Went to collect the back door I won on Ebay today, and ended up with a pair of rear doors plus a drivers front door in cream. One back door has a dent in it and is missing the quarter window and some trim, but the other 2 are pretty good, and will at least give up their rubbing strips even if I don't use the doors. I also have some Mk2 R / TG spec door cards in brown that are surplus if anyone wants them. I'll hold off deciding exactly what to do with these doors until I get the other doors that are coming my way!

The guy had some other bits that I didn't need (alternator, Mk2 dials, Mk2 upper column, Mk2 hatch rear bumper in cream) plus some discs which he said didn't fit his car. He also has a turbo diesel hatchback in a mixture of white and cream which has killed its head that he can't decide whether to fix. I've asked him to get in touch if he decides to get rid so that I can post the details here.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

oh, I know who you mean, he has a xantia now.. which is also, erm, a bit tired... Raphael, nice enough chap, but a bit odd with his running car on butter type stuff experiments!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...